Some people enjoy winter because it is cosy, comfortable, and full of promise. However, not everyone likes the gloomier, winter months. Here, skilled independent contractors offer their best advice for fighting depression at this time.
Winter is on its way. Although we all enjoy the concept of snow-covered landscapes and cheery carolers, for many creative freelancers, winter is not necessarily the most enjoyable season.
Even while working alone has many benefits, the winter months can be particularly lonely because there are less social chances and chilly conditions that make us feel cooped up inside.
SAD (seasonally adjusted depression) sufferers struggle in particular to stay cheerful and motivated as during dreary mornings, long days, and early evenings because the lack of sunlight throws off their internal schedule and causes their bodies to create less serotonin, which is the feel-good hormone.
Additionally, all these effects will be more apparent than ever this year as a result of increased prices that may result in power outages, hardship, and financial stress.
So what should you do? We asked the Creative Boom community for their best tips on managing mental health during the winter to commemorate World Mental Health Day today. The greatest advice and methods are provided below.
((Build connections))
One of the better parts of freelancing is the ability to impose your own isolation, which allows you to shut out the outside world and give your work his full attention. But if that's all you do, your mental health may start to fail, especially in the winter when fewer people are around. Building contacts both online and offline is crucial if you want to survive these gloomy and chilly months.
Make sure to occasionally leave your mental palace to connect with the outside world, advises the team at Hull creative agency Business 101. Although it's tempting to keep working, touching base with the real world - as discouraging as this can be - is essential.
((Take a breath of fresh air and observe nature))
Being trapped to the same four walls will drain your energy the most throughout the winter. Therefore, try to get outside for some fresh air no matter what the weather is like, advises Loop's motion designer Tom. "Getting some natural light and fresh air makes a huge difference, especially if you're freelancers or working from home,"
Sarah Lister, a life and career consultant, corroborates. She exhorts him, "Get up and go for a walk." "As the sun is rising, go for a run or a bike ride. Watch how the hues shift. Take time to hear the birdies. Watch the fog in the morning. But once the sun has fallen, go once more. Pay attention to the blackbirds and owls. Make warm.
Mat Bingham, a teacher, has much the same opinion. Visit farms and pet anything you like—goats, sheep, donkeys, horses, llamas, the farm cat, etc. It is incredibly calming, helps you reconnect with nature, bonds you with another living being, and shows them that someone cares.
((Establish a wholesome routine))
It is well recognised that developing routines can alleviate depression since they promote healthy habits, lower stress levels, and enhance interpersonal interactions. Everyone is different, of course, so you must create a schedule that suits you the best, which you'll eventually discover through trial and error.
For instance, stained glass artist Flora Jamieson starts off by "once the sun begins to rise at a decent hour, getting up and going outside to watch the sunrise. This gives me the impression that I've had a productive day's start, exercised, and it's totally free. I enjoy swimming in the sea or a lake, followed by a hot cup of coffee. After that, I had a brief period of near invincibility."
((Set aside time to look forward to))
While having a reliable schedule is important, you can not let every day feel like Groundhog Day. Repetition can wear you out over time, even if you enjoy what you do. Cat McLaughlin, a graphic artist, recommends "having something to look forward to" such as concerts, get-togethers with friends, a nice lunch, and days away somewhere gorgeous and interesting.
The cost-of-living crisis has caused finances to become more constrained, which may limit the number of options for days and nights out. Make time for the simple things though—oftentimes they are the most satisfying. Create a balanced lunch, advises illustrator Amy Lauren. "something savoury and luxuriant. It's a chicken roast for me. It greatly boosts my confidence and sensation of control, particularly on days when I feel like I'm in a tornado."
Director and screenwriter Miles Watts adds, "Escapism is important too. Try and schedule a treat TV show or film into your evening a few times a week if feasible." That's exactly what Julie Richardson Dredge, founder of Frame PR, has been doing lately.
((Create virtuous behaviours))
It can be challenging to break a nasty habit once it takes hold, like smoking or biting your fingernails. However, if you employ the same dynamic to create positive habits instead, you can improve your mental health.
Abbie, a content marketing consultant, has a brilliant idea. Make Post-it note Friday a daily habit throughout the more miserable times of the year, she advises. "Spent 5 minutes thinking back on that day, then list the highlights. It's just a gentle reminder to keep things in perspective and to start concentrating on what, at the time, was most important to your success. It's not toxic positivity."
Another is provided by Kiesha Meikle, editor of the magazine StyleAble. I make a list of three things to do, and when I cross them off, I have a great party, she adds. "I'm referring to snacking, online shopping, and chit-chatting. I then complete the following three. I accomplish a lot, especially if I set a timer. Plus, finishing jobs gives me a sense of accomplishment."
Kirsten Murray, an art director, provides another tried-and-true method. Get a notebook, she says, and record any encouraging remarks or criticism. "Reading the journal will help to give you a boost when you're the target of criticism or some nasty remarks — and your inner-critic starts to believe them."
((Cut back on your screen time))
Many parents limit their kids' screen usage, but they don't do the same for themselves. But we all understand that gazing at our phones and tablets nonstop is bad for us. So why not start by taking action in the winter of 2022?
Once more, you can incorporate this into a wholesome habit. According to artist Nicole Rifkin, "I take time to myself every morning where I clean, shower, make some coffee and breakfast, and don't use screens for roughly 45 to an hour before commencing work." Things don't seem as overwhelming when I give myself time to be a person, I've discovered.
The founder of Second Mountain Comms, Ben Veal, takes a similar strategy. As far as my anecdotal observation goes, intentional device breaks are essential for maintaining excellent mental health, he claims. "I recently added a band to my iPhone so that every time I pick it up habitually, I have to stop and think, "What am I doing?" This is one small change I've made in my life. This is a helpful tip I learned from the author Joshua Becker, and so far it has made a huge difference in my life."
((Exercise))
Exercise is one of the finest methods to enhance both your physical and mental well-being, and you don't have to exert yourself to reap rewards. Even a tiny quantity of regular exercise can make a significant effect compared to not exercising at all.
As according multidisciplinary artist and documentary photographer Taylor B. Alarcón, "Exercise has pretty much been the only activity that consistently helps me through mental and emotional slumps." From calming my nerves to helping me leave the house to boosting my confidence, music has helped me in a variety of ways.
Steven Jones, a photographer, concurs. He says, "I usually find exercising enhances my mental health." "My favourite sports are mountain biking and BMX, but running is also fantastic since you can just put on your sneakers go outside and." Nicola Davison Reed, another photographer, shares these sentiments. "I started running after reading Bella Mackie's excellent game-changing book Jog On," she explains. "I've never turned around and jogged for physical fitness: the mental wealth is a bonus."
((Let the light in))
he absence of light during the winter is one of the main problems, as was said at the beginning of this essay. But if that bothers you, there are workarounds.
If that is your natural biorhythm, allow yourself to go to bed sooner, advises illustrator Melissa Washburn. Additionally, a full-spectrum light in the studio can significantly improve daytime energy, focus, and mood.
Every morning I use a SAD lamp as my makeup light, claims novelist and photographer Sara Tasker. I haven't been able to incorporate employing one into my regular routine in any other way. Taaryn Brench, a designer and illustrator, also adds that you should take advantage of the available sunlight. I rush outside as soon as the sun comes out to get the rays on my face, so I get my winter coat," she explains. It functions!



0 Comments